Space-Based Images Show Iran's Naval Forces and Nuclear Sites Damaged by Joint US and Israeli Airstrikes.
Multiple US and Israeli airstrikes has according to analysis sunk or crippled no fewer than eleven Iran's navy ships since the weekend, recently obtained orbital imagery demonstrate, with missile bases and enrichment plants also sustaining hits.
Images of the southern Konarak military port and the Bandar Abbas port facility, which overlooks the strategic Hormuz Strait and is home to the headquarters of the Iran's naval force, depict black smoke pouring from multiple ships on Monday and Tuesday.
Naval Assets Sustained Substantial Damage
Among the targets eliminated was the IRINS Makran, Iran's most sizable ship which had served as a unmanned aerial vehicle platform. Satellite images displayed dark plumes emanating from the ship which had been docked at the Bandar Abbas base.
Intelligence evaluations indicate that at least five ships at Bandar Abbas were "hit or sunk". Imagery of the southern part of the port depict smoke rising from the IRINS Makran, while another pair of vessels are visibly impacted, with one of them clearly on fire.
Over at the Konarak base, images display several harmed ships, with expert review identifying impacts on six vessels. Photos taken on the start of the week also show that a number of facilities at the installation have been demolished.
"For many years the Iran's leadership has threatened commercial vessels," a senior US military official said. "Today, there is not a single Iranian ship at sea in the Persian Gulf, Hormuz Strait or Gulf of Oman, and we will not stop."
A number of vessels allegedly sunk may have been concealed in aerial photos by weather conditions or battle damage, or struck at sea, and have not been conclusively proven. Other accounts stated that a ship from Iran was going down off the coast of Sri Lanka's waters, resulting in a search and rescue mission.
Missile Bases and Nuclear Facilities Attacked
Eliminating Iran's rocket sites and the hindering of nuclear weapons development were declared as further aims of the air campaign. Satellite images also revealed strikes on the southerly Khorgu base and northwestern Tabriz missile missile bases, and at the Konarak air air base, where rocket warehouses and fortifications were hit.
Over at the Choqa Balk-e drone UAV facility west of the city of Kermanshah, significant destruction was observed to warehouses, underground facilities and drone launch equipment.
Damage was also noted at a radar site at the Zahedan airbase in eastern parts of the country, close to the border with Afghanistan and Pakistan.
Perhaps most notably, the new round of strikes have apparently targeted facilities at Natanz – long said to be at the center of Iran's nuclear programme. The UN's atomic energy body said that the affected buildings were used for entry to the site's underground enrichment facility and that "no radiological consequence" was likely.
Wider Impact and Assessment
Military analysts suggested that the offensive appeared to have "greatly reduced" the Iranian navy's capacity to conduct conventional attacks using its biggest warships. But, it was emphasised that Iran maintains the capacity to launch unconventional attacks at sea through the use of unmanned aerial vehicles, small submarines and its so-called "shadow fleet" of tankers.
The total scope of the damage caused to Iran's defense infrastructure remains unclear, with strikes reportedly ongoing. Photos also shows widespread destruction to the main offices of the the IRGC in the city of Tehran.
A significant number of civilian buildings also appear to have been struck in the capital and throughout Iran since the conflict began. Toll estimates from ground sources indicate that many hundreds of non-combatants may have been fatally injured in the bombardment.
With the conflict ongoing, review of satellite imagery will continue to assess the changing military landscape.